Cricket Thread..

Mus

Fan Favourite
Watching the 20/20 game between Australia and South Africa.. anyone else see it?

One word, Warner. :O

As for A.B... That would have hurt
 

leungtl

Manager
Staff member
Mus;2609098 said:
One word, Warner. :O

Yeah, that guy is playing pretty crazy right now.

I don't remember India ever playing this bad... wholesale changes need to be made I think.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Terrence, everyone was saying the same about our also ageing middle order before this home summer. Tendulkar and Dravid have been in better form than our guys generally, until this series.

They've just struggled away from home like they so often do. Indian curators need to realise that making absolute tracks at home isn't always the way to go. It's how Indian cricket has so often been. Highway days 1-3, dust bowl 4 and 5. They love making batting tracks to help their guys break batting records. But it has lead to them struggling (relatively) away from home for years.

As for Warner, my mate and I were talking about this after that first T20 knock. He's going to go down in history as something special. He has one of the best eyes in the history of the game, and strength to match. Bat speed + strength + his eye = could be anything.
 

fenton

Club Supporter
Dhoni's suspension for the 4th test could be the best thing to happen to india this series... just don't think Sehwag will be much better
 

Haarithan

Reserve Team
Haha indeed. Some of the Indian fans in another forum that I'm a part off are overjoyed upon hearing MSD's one match ban. Horrendous captaincy throughout the series, literally killed India's body language with negative field placements.

On our game, Ajmal owned us on Day 1. Expect us to be back with a bang though, we're the world #1 for a reason. (H)
 
S

Sir Calumn

Guest
More humiliation for England against Pakistan.

Hmmmmmmmm maybe beating a decrepit Aussie side and a bunch of 60 year old Indians at home doesn't actually make us that great....
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
England losing to Pakistan as Australia thrash India.

It makes it even better because so many English 'experts' have recently come out and said how much better they are than us, and how they'll wipe the floor with us next Ashes.

I think it could be surprisingly close.
 
S

Sir Calumn

Guest
I think it will be too. Australia are always surprisingly quick at putting decent new teams together after a period of transition.

Having said that, there is a major difference between our home and away form, and we do seem to play above our capabilities when we come up against the old enemy. I do think you will probably take the Ashes back in the next Australia series though.

And beating India these days is really nothing to be proud of - both for us last summer and for your now - the legends really are too old now, and the kids are just no good.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
You guys have lifted a little bit the last couple of series' against us, but apart from the last series, Australians pride themselves on lifting against the Poms in ANY sport. With some young guns coming into the side (so we finally have a decent bowling attack again), it's just a matter of whether Clarke is still firing (a 300 and 200 in one four match series against top 4 opposition is ridiculous form), and if Hussey and Ponting are still good enough. Wasn't looking good a year ago, but both seem to have found a second wind.
 
S

Sir Calumn

Guest
Well... apart from the 2003 and 2007 Rugby World Cups, as well as three out of the four last ashes series, and finishing behind us in every Football World Cup there's ever been at least in my living memory :p
 

Haarithan

Reserve Team
Exactly. This Australian side aren't even remotely good (take a look at your top 3!), it's India who've made them look like 'world beaters'. Heck they couldn't even manage a home series victory against NZL off all teams!

I thoroughly expect England to rip Australia into shreds in the upcoming Ashes series in 2013.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Australia stuffed up one innings against New Zealand and it cost them.

We just came off a drawn series against South Africa, in South Africa. Then thrashed a full strength India 4-0. That's the number 2 and 3 sides. Also against NZ we were experimenting quite a bit. It was a small blip on the radar, but since the restructure of Cricket Australia, things are definitely looking up. The bowlers have improved out of site, and batsman refound form, not to mention Warner coming into the side and Watson still to return.

Sir_Didier_Drogba, football world cups don't count, we've never played you. In 2003, you were a better Rugby side, we lifted just to get so close. In 07 we without star player and fly half, sooooo again you were just a better side. Lifting doesn't mean beating, it means playing better than you usually do.

Last Ashes in Australia we were terrible, you were good. We were a team rebuilding and deserved to lose. Series before that rain saved you in the first test and you won the series by one test. Then before that we beat you 5-0, and I still insist the DRS being around the series before that would have meant we won the series. Kasprowicz's hand wasn't on the bat when he was caught behind off the glove and you won by two runs in the second test. That changed the outcome odd not just the match, but the series.

Anyway, aside from all of this, over those four series, we've still won more matches. And what about the weight series' before that?
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Haarithan;3174531 said:
Exactly. This Australian side aren't even remotely good (take a look at your top 3!), it's India who've made them look like 'world beaters'. Heck they couldn't even manage a home series victory against NZL off all teams!

I thoroughly expect England to rip Australia into shreds in the upcoming Ashes series in 2013.

Our top 3? You mean David Warner-who has two centuries in five games? And one of the other two will make way for Watson. Our form batsman of the past couple of years??
 
S

Sir Calumn

Guest
Alex;3174867 said:
Australia stuffed up one innings against New Zealand and it cost them.

We just came off a drawn series against South Africa, in South Africa. Then thrashed a full strength India 4-0. That's the number 2 and 3 sides. Also against NZ we were experimenting quite a bit. It was a small blip on the radar, but since the restructure of Cricket Australia, things are definitely looking up. The bowlers have improved out of site, and batsman refound form, not to mention Warner coming into the side and Watson still to return.

Sir_Didier_Drogba, football world cups don't count, we've never played you. In 2003, you were a better Rugby side, we lifted just to get so close. In 07 we without star player and fly half, sooooo again you were just a better side. Lifting doesn't mean beating, it means playing better than you usually do.

Last Ashes in Australia we were terrible, you were good. We were a team rebuilding and deserved to lose. Series before that rain saved you in the first test and you won the series by one test. Then before that we beat you 5-0, and I still insist the DRS being around the series before that would have meant we won the series. Kasprowicz's hand wasn't on the bat when he was caught behind off the glove and you won by two runs in the second test. That changed the outcome odd not just the match, but the series.

Anyway, aside from all of this, over those four series, we've still won more matches. And what about the weight series' before that?
Well other than football you are generally considered better than us at those sports, so if you dont beat us I wouldnt say you lifted your game. You sound very, very bitter about the previous two ashes series, and I have to admit that makes me happy :D

Anyway if I were you I would be very disappointed by your sporting record against England of the last 10 years (considering what it was like for the 20 years before that)
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Na, not bitter about last Ashes, just the last two in England. Last one you guys genuinely deserved to win. You are number 1 in the World at test cricket at the moment and were favourites for that Rugby World Cup-even if it was playing horrible boring northern style tryless Rugby
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
PS. Yeah, I'm very disappointed in our sporting record in the past ten years full stop. We were up there in nearly all the sports we played in the 90s. Our Cricket side was ridiculously good. Really I'm just glad I was around to see what was possibly one of the best sporting teams in any sport, in any era. Cricinfo did a stats analysis and it has them as best cricket side ever-ahead of the Windies of the 80s and Bradman's Aussies (Greg Chappell's Aussies were fourth, but no, it wasn't an Aussie author). That era is over, but at least I was here to enjoy ever minute. Gilchrist, McGrath, Ponting, Waugh, Hayden, Gillespie all in the one side, not to mention guys like Lee, Martyn, MacGill, Langer, Hussey, who could have been greats in another era.
 
S

Sir Calumn

Guest
Haha I love Northern Hemisphere rugby (H)

I dont consider us the number 1 side in the world yet, despite us being that officially. I was hoping that this could be the start a bit of an English cricketing dynasty, but I fear for that now. Before we can even consider calling ourselves the best, we need to beat South Africa (and not just in a three test home series like the one this summer) and start beating some teams on the subcontinent - we need to win an away series against India and against one of Pakistan or Sri Lanka. Then we can say we are the best.
 
S

Sir Calumn

Guest
Alex;3174913 said:
PS. Yeah, I'm very disappointed in our sporting record in the past ten years full stop. We were up there in nearly all the sports we played in the 90s. Our Cricket side was ridiculously good. Really I'm just glad I was around to see what was possibly one of the best sporting teams in any sport, in any era. Cricinfo did a stats analysis and it has them as best cricket side ever-ahead of the Windies of the 80s and Bradman's Aussies (Greg Chappell's Aussies were fourth, but no, it wasn't an Aussie author). That era is over, but at least I was here to enjoy ever minute. Gilchrist, McGrath, Ponting, Waugh, Hayden, Gillespie all in the one side, not to mention guys like Lee, Martyn, MacGill, Langer, Hussey, who could have been greats in another era.
I'm glad I only started watching cricket about half way through those years, dont think I could have stood double the amount of time of Aussie dominance. But yeah, I used the phrase cricketing dynasty in my last post, and that is the ultimate example. That was perhaps the greatest cricketing dynasty of all. Up there with AC Milan in the 90s!

You can tell a great side in any sport when at least half of the players is undoubtedly the best in the world in their position, and that was undoubtedly true of those aussies.

Which is again why it must have been so grueling to watch that shadow of an ashes side last christmas!
 


Top