NBA Thread 2012-2013

leungtl

Manager
Staff member
So the Lake show slump to 0-2, Ray Allen drains some nice buckets against his old Celtics in the opener and Harden/Lin look like great fits in my revamped Rockets.

It's my first season with League Pass, and I'm starting to question why it took me so long.

My prediction to win the chip? Heat again.
 

Filipower

Bunburyist
Yeah Heat looked fantastic against the Celtics. Did Kobe play against Portland? I so wished he could get this season and level Jordan in rings.
 
Yeah 30pts 3 assists. I liked his stats against Dallas more though, 22 pts and 0.

I'm really enjoying watching Miami play, monster defense meets monster offense.
 

fender

Fan Favourite
I'm surprised OKC let Harden go when he was such a utility player for them.
The Mavericks roster is horrible, i feel for Dirk.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Filipower;3332341 said:
Yeah Heat looked fantastic against the Celtics. Did Kobe play against Portland? I so wished he could get this season and level Jordan in rings.

Why would you want Kobe to level MJ? Kobe isn't the steam off Jordan's shít.
 

Filipower

Bunburyist
Obviously no one can touch Jordan, but Kobe Bryant is my favourite basketball player of all time; and the second best of all time in my adimitedly biased opinion.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Filipower;3332903 said:
Obviously no one can touch Jordan, but Kobe Bryant is my favourite basketball player of all time; and the second best of all time in my adimitedly biased opinion.

Wilt? KAJ? Bill Russell? Magic? Bird?
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
Kobe's just as good as MJ. Jordan just gets the benefit of nostalgia and good marketing and not raping anyone.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
ShiftyPowers;3333325 said:
Kobe's just as good as MJ. Jordan just gets the benefit of nostalgia and good marketing and not raping anyone.

I don't agree, either do stats. Jordan hit about 49% fg, Bryant 45%.
Jordan career ppg 30, Bryant 25.
Jordan career apg 5, Bryant 4.5
Jordan career spg 2.3, Bryant 1.5

All this after Jordan sat out two of the seasons where he would have been at his peak, and came back again after another couple of years out, when he was much older.

Jordan also beat Bryant on points/steals/assists and rebounds per minute played.

Jordan lead the league in scoring ten times. Lead the league in steals three times. Bryant was league leader in scoring twice.

It's really no discussion. I think it's more a matter of you forgetting than people being sentimental Shifty.
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
They played in different eras. I think Jordan was a little better, sure, but not by a ton and it doesn't really matter. They have had similar career success. Kobe's lower scoring average means much less to me after the 05/06 season when he Black Mamba'd his way to 35.4 PPG (better than all but 1 MJ season). Showed that Kobe could do it. Jordan's "best" seasons were all in the late 80s when he wasn't winning.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
ShiftyPowers;3333438 said:
They played in different eras. I think Jordan was a little better, sure, but not by a ton and it doesn't really matter. They have had similar career success. Kobe's lower scoring average means much less to me after the 05/06 season when he Black Mamba'd his way to 35.4 PPG (better than all but 1 MJ season). Showed that Kobe could do it. Jordan's "best" seasons were all in the late 80s when he wasn't winning.

His best was better than all but one MJ season - yes, so MJ's best was better than Kobe's best.

As for his best seasons being late 80s and unsuccessful, Jordan averaged 32.6ppg in the Chicago 92-93 championship side. 32.6 "better than all but one Kobe season".

In fact, take out Kobe's one best season, and Jordan has five seasons where he had averaged higher than Kobe's next best.

Different eras is always applicable, but no one had ever dominated the game like his airness
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
Jordan was the greatest athlete (except for Wilt) to ever play in the NBA when he played. He would not be all that special athletically in 2012. Different eras does matter. He's no Lebron.
 

Alex

sKIp_E
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
ShiftyPowers;3333475 said:
Jordan was the greatest athlete (except for Wilt) to ever play in the NBA when he played. He would not be all that special athletically in 2012. Different eras does matter. He's no Lebron.

Yes, but the other part of the question is, what sort of athlete would Jordan have been if he had the same training etc as the current athletes. And besides that, Jordan wasn't just an awesome athlete, his skills were ridiculous, his ability to perform under pressure legendary.

LeBron is an absolute freak athlete though, incomparable there.
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
People forget that it took Jordan awhile to win a title when they were hating on Lebron. Jordan was great, but Kobe had the same ice cold reputation when the Lakers won that Three Peat.
 

yoyo913

Team Captain
Another argument is that Kobe copied MJ style. Its harder to be the originator. Its like saying The Darkness are as good as Led Zeppelin. (And as Alex pointed out he beats him out in the majority of stats.)

The era argument is amusing because I've seen people argue the 90s were better than present. Look at the dominant centres for example (Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing etc). Today just Howard.

His playoff stats are better than Kobe's (very important).
 


Top