WC 2010 QF: Argentina vs Germany [P + R]

newbie original

We apologize for keeping the yellow too long
Yellow Card
vs

GERMANY
Current FIFA Ranking = 6
Highest FIFA Ranking = 1 (1993)
Lowest FIFA Ranking = 23 (2006 - March)
FIFA World Cup titles = 3

2010 World Cup Results:
AUS: 4-0 W
Serbia: 1-0 L
Ghana: 1-0 W
England (R16): 4-1 W

ARGENTINA
Current FIFA Ranking = 7
Highest FIFA Ranking = 1 (2008 March)
Lowest FIFA Ranking = 24 (1996)
FIFA World Cup titles = 2

2010 World Cup Results:
NIGERIA: 1-0 W
S.KOR: 4-1 W
Greece: 2-0 W
Mexico (R16): 3-1 W
----------------------------X----------------------------
Last Head-to-Head meeting: 2006 FIFA World Cup Quarterfinal
Result = Germany wins on penalties (1-1 after 120 minutes)
----------------------------X----------------------------
SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA, FIFA

Alright, so the trash-talking has started:

Bastian Schweinsteiger
"The shootout is still in our memory, but what really weighs heavily on our minds is what happened after that match,"

"We have to remain calm and not get provoked and I hope the referee will be very alert.

"You could see their behavior at halftime of the game against Mexico. When you look at their body language and gesticulations, the way they try to influence the referees, they have no respect. It's their mentality and character and we'll have to adjust."

Talking about Veron
"He(Juan Sebastian Veron) has played very strongly here. I have been impressed,"

Talking about Messi
"Other teams also have done it. He hasn't scored yet and we want to keep it that way,"

"We'll find the right game plan to hurt Argentina, although we know how strong Argentina is. At this level, you can't make mistakes, it's the details that decide the match."

Friendly win
Argentina beat Germany 1-0 with relative ease in that March friendly in Munich. Schweinsteiger said that result meant little.

1-2-3
"One, it was a friendly. Two, they did not create many chances either. Three, we have gained a lot of confidence by beating England and the good tactics we used in that game,"

Your thoughts/predictions? Reaction to the pre-match comments.
 

newbie original

We apologize for keeping the yellow too long
Yellow Card
I must say I am quite surprised by Schweinsteiger's comments. I wonder what Martín Demichelis' (his Bayern teammate, who plays for ARGentia) reaction must be to those comments. You don't want to give your opponent any motivation and you know that Maradona will be using this as part of his preparation.
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
newbie original;2899406 said:
I must say I am quite surprised by Schweinsteiger's comments. I wonder what Martín Demichelis' (his Bayern teammate, who plays for ARGentia) reaction must be to those comments. You don't want to give your opponent any motivation and you know that Maradona will be using this as part of his preparation.

Demichelis probably agrees with Schweini because that Argentina team refused to call him up and it devastated him so much that he slipped into a depression for a year or more.
 

yoyo913

Team Captain
Yeah, I think Germany will be the first real test for Argentina. I think Argentina's disorganization will pay in that game and Germany will end up winning.
 

Xifio

The Von Trapps
I don't think Málaga's defence can keep out all of Germany's attacking threats ... but Leo, Pipa, Carlitos, Kun, and even Diego Milito if necessary, are going to pose a multipronged threat of their own to Neuer's net ... plenty of goals with the Germans triumphing will be perfect (Y)
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
Xifio;2899779 said:
I don't think Málaga's defence can keep out all of Germany's attacking threats ... but Leo, Pipa, Carlitos, Kun, and even Diego Milito if necessary, are going to pose a multipronged threat of their own to Neuer's net ... plenty of goals with the Germans triumphing will be perfect (Y)

If Argentina gets desperate and throws on Kun and Milito, they're going to get ****ed the same way England did.

(on the counter attack, not on the disallowed goal)
 

ArgVega

Yellow Card - Racism; Exp. 31/08/2013
ShiftyPowers;2899784 said:
If Argentina gets desperate and throws on Kun and Milito, they're going to get ****ed the same way England did.

(on the counter attack, not on the disallowed goal)

Thats depending Germany score first...

I can see Messi, Tevez, El Pipa creating alot of probs for Germany
 

Pizarro14

Starting XI
I know the South Americans are invading this tournament this year. But I have a soft side for the germans. :(


2-1 Germany
 

yoyo913

Team Captain
ArgVega;2899793 said:
Thats depending Germany score first...

I can see Messi, Tevez, El Pipa creating alot of probs for Germany

Actually I see it as who get the fortunate first goal will end up winning it.
 

ArgVega

Yellow Card - Racism; Exp. 31/08/2013
Horatiu;2899802 said:
Actually I see it as who get the fortunate first goal will end up winning it.

+1 Both have the players to hurt you on the counter
 

ShiftyPowers

Make America Great Again
ArgVega;2899793 said:
Thats depending Germany score first...

I can see Messi, Tevez, El Pipa creating alot of probs for Germany

Argentina will not put in Kun and Milito unless they are desperate for a goal ;)
 

Krypton X

Senior Squad
I had never seen as many Portugal jersies on the streets as I did last week (since the N. Korea game), they all disappeared as of 2 days ago. Now the Argie tops are all out in force. I hope there's enough room on the Brazilian bandwagon, coz a whole bunch of plastic fans are coming your way.

I'm just worried the Argies will go mental again.


 


Top